Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Why College: Revisement


Everyone wonders why college. I was even wondering during my freshman year of high school. I quickly realized with the economy and how hard it is to get a job, having a college degree is important. With a degree, you often receive better pay and also have a better chance at getting a job or any promotions that come later.

Nurse anesthetist 
Before I could think about college, I had to think about a career. I prayed about what career choice I should make. I felt God was pointing me towards nursing. I am now a nursing major and plan to specialize after four years of school. My plan is to specialize and become a nurse anesthetist. My career requires college.

 I originally decided on Jacksonville State because it was close to home. Jacksonville offered me a better scholarship than any other colleges I was looking into. The BCM is a JSU organization. I could go to the BCM and worship with college students to help me stay strong in God. The BCM was a major deciding factor. I knew being apart of a Christian organization would connect me to people with similar beliefs. I believed an organization would be a fast way to friends. Since I came to the BCM, I have found older friends who can give me advice and mentor me. I’m glad I chose Jacksonville State because I have loved every minute of my experience here.

I mainly came to college to further my education. My career requires college so I didn’t have much of a choice. I am excited to go through college to reach my goal. I also came to college so I could be a part of something. I wasn’t real involved in high school and I wanted to become involved in college. I want to make connections to help me get a job. I want to find my place in a community. College has so many opportunities. Some students get to learn in other countries with a study abroad program. The BCM has mission trips to help others. The BCM has a mission trip coming up to Syracuse, Gulf Shores, and Portugal. If I hadn’t come to college, I wouldn’t have the chance to go to all those places.

My parents played a big role in my decision to attend college. My mom had started college but she got pregnant with me and didn’t finish. My dad didn’t need college for his career. My parents were proud of me wanting to help others. They knew nursing required college so they gave me support. I believe my little sister looks up to me because of my decision to attend college. She wants to better her grades now that she sees how much I like college.

Attending college is a tough decision. I believe people shouldn’t base their decision off of what their high school guidance counselor wants. College is a lot different than high school. College doesn't tolerate people playing games. The professors will fail you if you don’t care about you’re school work. Professors don’t hold a student’s hand and remind them to do their work. College is also expensive so I wouldn't come if I wanted to be a janitor.

I’m only in my first semester of college, but I have already learned a lot. For instance, this blog post has paragraphs and my first one didn’t. I also had numerous different topics in a paragraph. Thanks to college English, I have improved my writing. High school didn’t teach me how to blog. I was clueless on the first day. I’ve learned that high school didn’t teach things well. I learned things in college that my teacher described wrong. The learning experience of college is remarkable. I would encourage anyone to attend if their interested in learning. I wouldn’t advise someone who wanted to party and never study. College costs too much to flunk out. 

1 comment:

  1. Your post is very detailed and your points are on point. I agree with all the points that you made.

    ReplyDelete